Instructions for Standard Material Transfer Agreements (SMTAs) for Academic Institutions (Non-profits)
In order to speed up the process of material release, we have created a non-negotiable, simple Standard Material Transfer Agreement (SMTA) ready for signature for the requesting institution and its scientists. We have used standard terms that we find most institutions can agree to. Please note that a handling fee for preparation and shipment may be charged.
In order to receive the material, please proceed as follows:
1. Download the SMTA and complete the information requested in Annex (please note that the text of the SMTA cannot be altered!).
To complete this request you must have Adobe Acrobat / Adobe Reader 9.3.3 or higher installed on your computer. Adobe Acrobat / Adobe Reader is an industry standard software that allows people to download and print documents over the Internet. If you don't have Adobe Acrobat / Adobe Reader, you can download a free copy by clicking here.
a. Helmholtz Zentrum München - Material (HMGU material)
In order to receive the HMGU material, please use the SMTA here.
If you are with a US Government Institution (e.g. NIH), please click here.
b. If your request is for materials created by Members of the EUCOMM Consortium, please click here.
c. If your request is for materials created by Members of the German Gene Trap Consortium, please click here.
d. If your request relates to materials incorporating the TET-System, please contact
Tel. +49 89 3187-2833
E-mail: material-transfer [@] helmholtz-muenchen.de
Please complete the information requested in Annex: this information is mandatory for material release. Please note that incomplete Annexes will not be processed.
2. Send an e-mail with the completed form in advance by using the SEND button at the bottom of the last page or as a PDF file directly to material-transfer [@] helmholtz-muenchen.de. This will facilitate release of the requested material when the duly signed SMTA is received.
3. Print two hard copies by using the PRINT button at the bottom of the last page. Have the recipient scientist and the appropriate legal representative sign both documents. Please note that we only accept hard copies with original signatures – no scans accepted!
4. Send both signed originals of the SMTA to:
Helmholtz Zentrum München
Deutsches Forschungszentrum für Gesundheit und Umwelt (GmbH)
Ingolstaedter Landstr. 1
In case a handling fee is charged, you will receive a corresponding invoice together with the (countersigned) SMTA. The Material will be released as soon as our invoice is fully paid.
5. For any scientific questions related to the use of materials and for sending publications, please address the particular researcher at the Helmholtz Zentrum München.
6. In case you are a for-profit institution or you intend to use the material for commercial purposes please contact licensing(at)helmholtz-muenchen.de