Driving licence and vehicle

If you want to drive a car during your stay in Germany, you need a valid driving license. Driving licenses issued in EU or EEA member states have unlimited validity in Germany. An international driving license is also recognised in Germany.

Driving licenses issued in non-EURpean member states (translated into German language) lose their validity after six months. You must then apply for a German driving license with the driving license office of the District Office Munich. Depending on the country of origin, you might also have to retake your driving test (theory test and / or practical driving test).

You should apply for the exchange of your driving license as timely as possible, at least three months prior to the expiry date.

The question as to whether you are allowed to drive a vehicle with a foreign driving license in Germany and under what conditions the exchange of your driving license is possible, depends on the country of origin and must be clarified in each individual case.

Source (website contect only in German)

Registration/deregistration of motor vehicles

Depending on your personal situation, it is necessary to register your vehicle in Germany. In order to register your vehicle, you need to contact the motor vehicle registration authority in Munich.

  • Kfz – Zulassungsstelle München
    Address: Eichstätter Straße 2, 80686 München, telephone: +49 89 23396090
    Opening hours:
    Monday, Wednesday, Friday 07:30–12:00 h
    Tuesday 08:30–12:00 a.m., 14:00–18:00 h
    Thursday 08:30–15:00 h

Registering an imported vehicles

In order to register in Germany vehicles and trailers imported from abroad, you must apply directly to the motor vehicle registration authority.

  • Requirements: You must have registered your place of residence is Munich.
  • Note: Vehicles from abroad must be identified prior to approval and issuance of the vehicle registration certificate part II. If this has not yet been done, you must bring your car to the vehicle registration authority who will perform the identification on the spot.
    The identification can also be carried out by any other German registration authority, by officially recognised experts, authorised vehicle examiners or the test engineers of an officially recognised vehicle inspection association.
    The identification can be waived if the vehicle owner has positively completed a main inspection according to § 29 StVZO, or if they can submit a positive expert appraisal according to § 21 StVZO, or an assessment according to § 13 EG-FGV.
  •  Required documents
    • Identity card or passport
    • If a representative is being sent: written proxy (in the original) and identity card of the representative (in the original) as well as the identity card of the vehicle owner (copy).
    • Consent of the vehicle owner that details concerning their  tax situation may be passed on to the representative
    • SEPA mandate of the vehicle owner/account holder
    • eVB (electronic insurance certificate)
    • Test report on the valid main inspection carried out by a German vehicle test centre (if necessary)
    • Sale and purchase agreement or original invoice
    • Declaration of conformity (CoC)
    • In individual cases, the submission of a datasheet issued by an officially recognised  expert  (TÜV in the old federal states,  DEKRA in the new federal states) or by the manufacturer is additionally required, for example in the absence of the national emission values specified in section 47 of the CoC
    • If the CoC is not available, a data confirmation from the vehicle manufacturer or a full expert appraisal from an officially recognised expert must be submitted together with the previous vehicle documents.

If the vehicle has already been registered abroad

  • Foreign vehicle documents or international registration documents (in the original)
  • Vehicle registration number plates or a confirmation from the vehicle registration authority acknowledging that the vehicle has been deregistered and the registration numbers have been withdrawn

If the vehicle has already been registered in Germany

  • Registration certificate part II or the old  vehicle registration certificate
  • If the German documents have been withdrawn by a foreign vehicle authority, submit the confirmation of this authority acknowledging that the documents had been withdrawn

New vehicles

  • Certificate of origin (in the original, if available)
  • The identification can be carried out by any other German registration authority, by officially recognised experts, authorised vehicle examiners or the test engineers of an officially recognised motor vehicle inspection association.

Vehicles from non-EU member states

  • Proof of customs clearance
  • Full expert appraisal (§21 StVZO) issued by the German TÜV, by Dekra only in the new federal states

In individual cases, additional documents or translations may be required.

Charging framework

40 Eur – 250 Eur (if special documents are required or any form of exception applies)


Direct debit mandate for paying the vehicle tax
(accept only in German)

(accept only in German)