Registration and residence permit

Registering with the residents' registration office

International scientists, who want to stay in Germany longer than three months, need to register with the local residents’ registration office. If they take up residence in Munich or its surrounding areas, they need to register within one week according to the residence reporting act.

The registration is free of charge and it is handled by the competent registration office at the town hall of the person’s new place of residence. The following documents are required: 

• Completed and signed registration form. The registration form can be obtained from
 the registration office
• Proof of identity of all persons subject to individual registration (identity card,
• Tenancy agreement

The registration office will issue the registration certificate that is needed, inter alia, for applying for a residence permit or for opening a bank account.

 If you live in Munich:

• at the Department of District Administration of the city of Munich   
• at any branch of the Department of District Administration of the city of Munich
  within easy access from your home

If you live in Munich’s surrounding area:

• at the registration office of the respective municipality of your place of residence  
  (Further information and opening hours can be found on the Internet at the website
  of the municipality).




We use cookies to improve your experience on our Website. We need cookies to continuously improve the services, to enable certain features and when embedding services or content of third parties, such as video player. By using our website, you agree to the use of cookies. We use different types of cookies. You can personalize your cookie settings here:

Show detail settings
Please find more information in our privacy statement.

There you may also change your settings later.