Who can participate in the program?
Graduate students at the Helmholtz Center Munich who conduct their doctoral project at the Department of Radiation Sciences. A membership in RS2 is mandatory.

What is the language of the program?
The official language of the Research School is English.

How can I join RS2?
If you are accepted as a graduate student at the Department of Radiation Sciences, you will join the Helmholtz Research School of Radiation Sciences. To enter RS2, please fill in the "Agreement for the Support of Graduate Students" before the start of your thesis at the respective institute.

Conferences and lab exchanges – financial support
RS2 provides financial support for networking on an international scale, e.g. for your participation at conferences or research stays at other institutions.

Contract extension
An extension of your initial 3-year contract is possible. For the extension, you have to develop a work and time plan to finish your doctoral thesis together with your thesis committee at your third meeting. Every member of the thesis committee has to agree to this plan by signature, and the documentation has to be sent to the Graduate Student Office.
In case of an extension of your contract please do ensure that ALL the necessary documents (TC form signed by all member of committee, progress report, work and time plan) are at the Graduate Student’s Office two month prior to expiration of your contract. If due to unforeseen reasons in exceptional cases an extension is decided on short notice, all necessary documents have to be at the Graduate Student’s Office no later than two weeks prior to expiration of your contract. Otherwise an extension of the doctoral contract in time is not possible.

What is HELENA?
HELENA is the Helmholtz Graduate School Environmental Health, established at the Helmholtz Zentrum München. RS2 is part of HELENA, which means that each RS2 graduate student has to be member of HELENA and collect credit points (=HELENA Equivalents or HEs) by attending seminars and courses.

How do I get HELENA Equivalents (credit points)?
HELENA Equivalents correspond to the workload of a training activity. 4 hours workload will be accredited with 1 HE. To collect credit points, you need to document your participation at lectures, seminars and courses by sending a certificate to the RS2 coordinator. For getting the RS2 and HELENA certificate, you have to collect 65 HEs in scientific training activities, 15 HEs in professional skill courses and attend all mandatory elements.

Do I get a certificate?
After completing your work for your doctoral degree at the DRS, the RS2 and HELENA curriculum, all efforts will be rewarded through the “Research School of Radiation Sciences Certificate” and the HELENA Certificate “Environmental Health”, certifying that you successfully completed the graduate program at the RS2 Research School and HELENA graduate school.

Which university will grant my doctoral degree?
As graduate student at the Department of Radiation Sciences, you will be enrolled at the Ludwig-Maximilians-Universität München (LMU) or the Technische Universität München (TUM).

Do I need to register at the Universities?
Register at the university where you will do your doctoral thesis as soon as possible, but at least within the first three month of your doctoral thesis. Further information concerning TUM / LMU

Do I have to participate in the Kick-Off Seminar (TUM/LMU)?
Graduate students have to join a kick-off seminar of their university once (TUM Graduate School or Graduate Center LMU).

What are Orientation Days?
As a new graduate student, the Graduate Student Office would like to introduce you to the Graduate School, the Helmholtz Zentrum München and the other new graduate students. You will be invited via email to take part at the orientation days. They will be organized twice a year; participation (once) is mandatory for all RS2/HELENA members.

Lecture Series Environmental Health
The Lecture Series “Environmental Health” offers an introduction to Environmental Health research at the Center. According to the eight thematic fields of HELENA, scientists will introduce you to health and environment topics. Graduate students have to participate 4 times.

How does the Thesis Committee work?
Over the next three years, your doctoral project will be supervised by a Thesis Committee consisting of your direct adviser, the adviser at the University and an external adviser. Three meetings with the Thesis Committee during your studies are mandatory. Please send us the names of your Thesis Committee members within the first six months and document the meetings.