The Institute of Innovative Radiotherapy (iRT) is a part of the Department of Radiation Sciences (DRS) of the Helmholtz Zentrum München (HMGU). The Institute of iRT has a strong link to the Department of Radiation Oncology at the Klinikum rechts der Isar, Technische Universität München (TUM). The main focus is clinically oriented research related to technical and biological issues of radiation therapy. This involves research in preclinical radio- and molecular biology, imaging, as well as new technical developments in radiation technology, and provides a solid basis to bridge the gap between the basic and pre-clincial programmes of the DRS members.
The research strategy towards innovative radiation medicine will address the following topics:
- characterization of radiobiological properties of tumor and normal tissue
- correlation of outcome with tumor tissue related data, i.e. molecular markers
- evaluation of novel combination treatments, i.e. chemotherapy, molecular treatment
- conversion of preclinical data into innovative clinical concepts
- development of novel treatment techniques